CHET ADVANCE NEWS
- Treasurer Nappier Announces 2016 CHET ADVANCE Scholarship Winners (Dec. 12, 2016)
- Photos from the 2016 Scholarship awards ceremony (Dec. 8, 2016)
- High School Seniors and Freshmen to receive $500,000 through 2016 CHET ADVANCE Scholarship (Aug. 24, 2016)
- Treasurer Nappier announces 2015 CHET Advance Scholarship winners (Dec. 11, 2015)
- Photos from the 2015 Scholarship Winners’ Ceremony
- Treasurer Nappier announces 2014 CHET Advance scholarship winners (June 23, 2014)
Learn more about the Connecticut Higher Education Trust (CHET) 529 college savings plan.
- Treasurer Nappier launches second year of CHET Advance scholarship (March 12, 2014)
- CHET Advance scholarship winners cheered, praised before packed house (Nov. 8, 2013)
- Treasurer Nappier announces CHET Advance scholarship winners (Oct. 30, 2013)
- Treasurer Nappier launches CHET Advance scholarship (Sept. 3, 2013)
CHET ADVANCE HISTORY
Connecticut Treasurer Denise L. Nappier established the CHET Advance Scholarship program to encourage students and their families to save for college expenses, as well as to help ease the financial burdens faced by prospective college students. The program launched during the 2013-2014 academic year, and to date has provided $2 million in scholarships to nearly 400 prospective college students. Learn more about CHET Advance prior year programs.
In 2014, the program awarded $2,500 scholarships to 100 high school juniors and initial $2,000 scholarships to sixth-grade students. The sixth graders have the opportunity to receive an additional $500 if the student's family saves $500 in a CHET account by the time the student goes to college. Learn more by downloading our fact sheet for sixth graders and for 11th graders.
In 2013, the program awarded $2,500 scholarships to 200 Connecticut high school seniors. The scholarship awards will be paid directly to the students' colleges, starting in the fall of 2014.
No state funds are used for the scholarship awards issued under the CHET Advance Scholarship program. CHET Advance is administered under the banner of the Connecticut Higher Education Trust, Connecticut's 529 college savings plan. TIAA-CREF Tuition Financing, Inc. (TFI) and The Hartford, plan managers for CHET Direct-Sold and CHET Advisor-Sold, respectively, contribute annually into a Scholarship account to finance the Scholarship program, under their contracts with the Treasurer's Office to manage the CHET programs.